Music

As well as being a place of worship Perth Cathedral also endeavours to provide a rich musical experience for the community. Under the direction of the Music Director, the Cathedral choir sing a wide range of sacred choral works. The Cathedral’s fine Organ, favourable acoustics, space and ambience also attract other choral and orchestral groups, both amateur and professional. Perth Cathedral, St Ninian’s is keen to develop further its musical provision for the community and welcomes performing musicians from many backgrounds. For further information please contact the Cathedral office.

The Cathedral Choir

The Cathedral Choir of St Ninian’s performs a wide range of traditional and contemporary Anglican liturgical repertoire. They lead the worship at the weekly Sunday Eucharist and several extraordinary Services, including choral evensong.

Rehearsals are: Thursdays 7.00–8.30pm and Sundays at 10am and as required in preparation for special services and festivals.

If you are interested in joining the choir, please contact the Music Director, Geoff Bolton at Enable JavaScript to view protected content. or the cathedral office on 01738 632053.

St Ninian’s Choristers 

The choir at Perth Cathedral is regularly augmented by our enthusiastic junior choristers. The children practise regularly each week at school and also at the cathedral in the run up to important services and events. The training they receive from the Director of Choristers introduces them to liturgy and theology alongside a wide range of choral music and prepares them for transition into the adult choir. The choristers range in age from 8 to 12 and are currently drawn from St Ninian’s Episcopal Primary school, although this is not exclusive and Perth Cathedral welcomes any child with an interest in auditioning as a chorister. If your child would be interested in auditioning, please contact Annette Cameron at Enable JavaScript to view protected content..

The Organ 

The first organ was installed when the church was built in 1850, and, according to the first Precentor in 1901, was built by Robson of London. In the 1880’s, when the centre Nave and the North Aisle were completed, the organ was rebuilt by P. Connacher and Eustance Ingram and enlarged to a four manual console. In 1904-5, John R. Miller, a Dundee Organ builder completed further work. The organ, now situated in the south choir aisle, was completely rebuilt and restored by A.F.Edmonstone, Forteviot, in 1996. The detached console, in the north choir aisle, has four manuals and 67 draw stops.